Monday, October 14, 2013

Thing 13: Using YouTube

I created a screen-cast showing my students how to use ABC Clio for their upcoming research paper which I uploaded to YouTube. For both grad school and work, I have uploaded videos to YouTube before, so this was not something brand new to me.

The specific video that I uploaded is a quick tutorial reminding students how they can use ABC Clio to find credible sources for their research paper. It tells them about the different databases that are available within that website as well as how to perform a key word search.


I think having videos like this available to students is helpful because it allows them to go back and re-learn what you already taught without you having to be there. This is something that all of my students could easily access when they are working on their papers at home. Also, if a student is absent the day we go over this, this is a good resource for them to use to catch-up on what was taught. I would love to have more online tutorials and videos available to my students, I just don't have the time to create them. Hopefully over this next summer, I can finally have a good group of videos created for my students to help them review materials and gain additional insight on the different topics that we cover.

I would be hesitant to put student created work on YouTube as the information they might have in their video could be incorrect and I would have to make sure that it was legal to upload their materials as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment