Monday, October 14, 2013

Thing 15: Things like Skype

I have used Skype a handful of times in my personal life, but I have never used it in the classroom. I will admit that I am not a big fan of Skype. I understand why people like Skype, but at the same time I'm not a big fan of talking on the phone, which is basically what Skype is, so I'm not a fan of Skype.

I can see how it would be useful in the classroom, especially for collaboration and connectivity around the world. If I was a student, I would think that it was pretty awesome if my class in Houston was able to Skype and see students all over the world. I know teachers plan Skype lessons where they connect with other classrooms around the world, but I wouldn't even know where to begin with something like that.

As a World Geography teacher, I should probably explore using Skype in my classroom more often as I think it would be a great way to connect with other classrooms nationwide and worldwide. I think it would give my students a better understanding of what cultures are like in other parts of the world as well as connect them to their peers across the globe.

If anyone knows how to set up Skyping with other classes, then I would definitely be interested in getting that information! This is going to be one of my goals for the remainder of the school year - set up Skype 'dates' with other classes around the world so that my students can collaborate with their peers from all over the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment